Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Days of Yesterday

Hello readers! Here is my next work in progress entry, based on the Illustration Friday word 'yesterday'. When I was trying to come up with ideas for this design, nothing very specific came to mind. So I decided to go with the idea of the days of yesterday. I've been told I'm a throwback kind of girl, so I made an 80's themed design! So with that idea, I thought of what kind of content was present in the 1980's. What came to mind was wolves! They were on t-shirts, posters, album covers, the side of that one guy's van, etc.

Here is my sketch to start my design:

sketch

I started with the body, using different hues of blues to create my design. I really like using shapes to create illustrations, creating hard edges and making it look geometric, which was very prominent for graphic design in the 1980's.

body

Then I went on to start the head, following along quite close to the template.

head1

I started to add detail to the face, such as where they eyes were going to go and the snout.

head2

Here I added in definition for the snout, like the nose and mouth.

head3

The last step for the wolf was the eyes. I used yellow and orange (complimentary to blue) so they would pop!

head4

The next step was to add more to the background. I used a gradient ellipse to make a sun effect, using the same yellow and orange I used for the eyes.

sun

I added in 80's style text, kind of like a rough calligraphy style called 'Blazing Italic' It's a free font you can download from Tack-O-Rama. They have lists of retro fonts you can choose and download from!

text1

I then copied the text, changing the colour to magenta to give it more dimension.

text2

And that's it! I decided to use a gray shirt this time. I still wanted it to stand out on the t-shirt but I wanted to do something different than black.

t-shirt-mockup

Thanks for reading! 'Til next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment